Saturday, September 13, 2008

Time for a real entry- Fushia sweats and Uggs for summer

Fall has come; frost on the apples and car windshields, rainstorms without thunder, and yellow leaves on every third cottonwood or so along my commute. Most notably, the co-eds at my big public university have pulled out their Uggs. Now, this is my first semester on a 50,000 student campus and, after three years at tiny liberal arts schools with strong academics, the 'Greek' culture and diverse student body cracks me up on a daily basis. Uggs are no exception to this rule.

Now, don't get me wrong; I wear Uggs. They're comfy! And in deep snow, they're warm and semi-functional. I even have a hideous army-green pair with brass buckles and fake 'pockets'. But my ownership of said fashion atrocities should be very telling in how seriously I take myself when I wear my Uggs- not at all. I've always thought those pictures of Hollywood starlets in Uggs and mini dresses, occasionally with some colorful stockings or a fur hat, are pretty damn hilarious. What is the point of big ugly sweaty boots when it's not freezing cold? Apparently, the Aussies agree. The inventors of Uggs shake their heads and laugh at how sloppy Americans dress, wearing house slippers outside! Yes, folks: Uggs are Australian house slippers.

On to my wonderful wildlife spotting of yesterday- Rush Week freshman in fuchsia sweat-suit and Uggs.

I've seated myself halfway up, in the middle of the row for my 360+ person lecture and am trying to convince myself waking up and driving to campus will be worth it come exam time when this Sarah Palin-esk voice screeches, "Walker! Walker! Walker! Walker!" A boy right in front of me strands up and raises an arm in salute. She finally notices him and enters my view screaming, "Walker! Sit with me! Walker! Come here! Sit next to me!" Before she seats herself a few chairs in front and to the left of me, I notice her black fuzzy Uggs. Moving up from there, I observed bright fuchsia valour sweatpants with 'Sexy' written up the leg. On top, she has layered a black zip-up sweatshirt with a white faux-fur hood over a perfectly matching fuchsia hoody over a black lacy cami. Her dark hair is straightened, pulled back into an annoyingly perfect bun and held flat on top by a thick, clothe, black headband. She has a cartilage piercing in her right ear with a small silver ring-with-ball, long fake Frenched nails, and pink rhinestones glued to her planner (which has 'Pink by Victoria's Secret' scrawled across it) and iclicker (the radio clickers we use to 'participate' in huge lectures like this). I wanted to take a picture for my sister, but I couldn't think of a way to do so without obviously making fun of her, especially since I was rockin' the camo trucker hat and 'Ride Copper' hoody over paint-stained jeans and muddy hiking boots. Not likely that I'm complimenting her or wanting to use her outfit to help me dress better...

But, her outfit totally made my day.

No comments: