Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Postcards

Mike got my little sister, Katy, and I started writing postcards with his tale of woe on the Oregon Trail. Since it takes at least two weeks for mail to get from me to her and vice-versa, we're only a couple rounds in, but they're something wonderful to look forward to! Our son, Timmy, died of cholera earlier in our epic, and I recently captured a porcupine which I, due to seriously sun-stroke, believe to be my dearest child come back from the dead. Katy is struggling to adjust to her punishment of being sent to Van Deimen's Land, the frightening 'new dimension' that it is. The seasons are reversed, the trees shed their bark but not their leaves, the animals bounce... clearly the whole island is the work of The Devil!

We're way cool.

Sometimes it's easy to forget how close I am to my little sister. In Melbourne, we were both tired and cranky. Our hostel room was private, but beyond small. We didn't have money to eat anywhere special, so we had cheese sandwiches and random things from the corner market. We went to the movies to find the only thing with tickets left was 'Sex and the City.'

There are very few people with whom I could share such circumstances and not murder. Katy is one of them. We had such a blast together this past May/June! I'm so glad I got the chance to go to Hobart [Tasmania, Australia] and see where she's living, meet her friends, listen to her sing, pet wallabies, eat the world's best apples and freshest deep-fried seafood, see penguins, walk in amazing parks, pet some more wallabies...
Thank you, parents, and your frequent-flier miles!!!

We talked Monday night (Tuesday afternoon for her) and I'm all excited for her to come to Colorado for her summer break! She'll get home around Thanksgiving, and probably stay through December. There are advantages to living so close to my parents! Mike's sister is also coming to Colorado, from Tokyo, for his graduation in December, so it will be a family-filled holiday season! I always get a little anxious for big winter plans because the highway between our house and my parents' house is a nightmare when it snows- and it snows at complete random here. It can be sunny and in the 50s in the morning, then a full-on blizzard by 2 pm.

Anyhow, this was a good break before my genetics lab. See you kids later.

No comments: