Wednesday, December 2, 2009

So I lied... in a good way!

I went out to feed last night, which was tons of fun because I also locked myself out of our house so I got to feed in what I was wearing and it got COLD when the sun went down! I made Mike bring me a hat and gloves when he got home, but I really missed my coveralls and waterproof boots.

Anyhow, I went out to feed and Honey was still there! Turns out, they had planned to put her down over the weekend and had increased her pain meds (added more bute) to give her a comfortable last few days. When the vet came out, she was galloping full-tilt around the pasture having a blast. They did a flexen test and she passed it, and her chronic abscesses looked fine. So the decision was made to take her off bute, keep her on aspirin, antibiotics, and all the supplements she gets, and see how she does. The amount of bute she was on is not a workable long-term solution, but if she is feeling better and we can go back to managing her pain in other ways, then hooray! She looked great, and even put a little effort into defending her side of the hay trough she shares with Bella, the mare with nerve damage in her hind legs and back. There is a third mare in with them now, a healthy and sound but flighty paint mare who was just separated from her foal for weaning. Luckily, Glory is such a wimp she doesn't go near her lame but alpha-type pasture mates.

Also, cute new gray Arab-type (?) gelding. Ride-able, sound, and had very nice gate manners but I didn't get a chance to hear his story. Put his blanket on him and he was much more respectful than most of our newcomers are. He came up to the gate when I called, slipped his head into the halter, and was friendly without demanding attention. I get the feeling he's a real winner, and won't be with us too long :-)

No comments: