Thursday, January 22, 2009

Friends and Men

I have this horrible habit of setting up all my single friends with people I've barely met, but luckily this madness stays safely tucked in my mind and spares my reality.

Classes are going. Cell will actually require that I read the textbook before and after lecture, mainly because I can't seem to follow the professor's train of thought and his power points are pretty useless. Bio of Cancer is awesome, and the professor's great. He's very... S. American. Jeans just tight enough to prove he has an ass, and the inability to pronounce "heritability." Chem and both of my labs seem like they won't be too different from in the past, although cell lab might be pretty interesting and will definitely take up more time than genetics lab did.

I've been riding a fun horse lately. He was nearly choked to death with a cribbing collar (which landed him here) but he clearly has a ton of nice training and he's a really lovely horse, two years and lots of horse cookies later. He's hard to get a bridle on, for obvious reasons, but under saddle he's a complete joy. Clearly trained through 1st level dressage, we'll see what else as he gets back into shape. We walked over some poles during out cool-out chill time yesterday and he perked up and picked up his feet like a pro. He just seems to thrive on mental stimulation- he tosses his head like crazy on the long side unless you ask him to extend or collect, or throw in a lot of 10 and 15 meter circles or practice counter-bending. Then he's golden. He hasn't been ridden much since he came, so I'm trying to go really slow- limited trot, mainly walking patterns and doing transitions, canter a half way around each direction just for the transition.

Good times.

No comments: